Monday, October 27, 2014

The Job Search


I have been out in the job market looking for work.  It's interesting.  I've really been focused for about three months.  Looking through all of the job boards and actively.  seeking a position to to start with.What I've learned is that there is a HIGH demand for these skill sets yet.......as a novice.  There is a distinct level of experience that the employers are looking for.  3-5 years experience.  So when working with the recruiting network it is an eminent question.  



They want verifiable experience.  So once you drill down to the junior level development positions even those require at least 1 year.The Centriq folks tell you to tout the experience you gained through the track is at least 1-2 years worth of working practice.

So......the interviews that I've been on will have the dreaded "technical interview".  This is by the strangest combination of technical knowledge, and company culture.   I've had only one interview in which the person giving the interview had any idea what the answers were.

I have to admit that I am at this strange point in my life as well.  I'm almost 40 and most of my classmates are in their early twenties.   I've noticed that I was different when I went through the class.  I'm older and traveled in different industries.  Not the Technical.  

I don't think that I look and speak like a technical junior developer.  Long story short.  I've just struck out for the majority of the jobs that I've gone for.  

Mean while, many of my classmates are landing the positions and starting work.  I know that it is possible.  It just hasn't happened for me yet.  I haven't lost heart but I'm quite frustrated.

If I were completley honest with myself.  I do want to freelance.  I'm just a touch trigger shy after my last business struggles.  

I will say that My wife has a wonderful opportunity that has come up that we may have to look at.  If this executive position with the hospital works out.  I may be moving to another state.  More to come.................

No comments:

Post a Comment