Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Week two.

So to say the least, C# fundamentals was a trail.  I'm still not comfortable with the concepts.  I really struggled towards the end of this week.  I didn't think this program at Centriq was going to be this intense.  I'm confronting change on a few different levels.

1.  Being back to school is culture shock.

2. Learning material that is quite different from what I am used to.

3.  Having to rely on my class mates for guidance and help.

School is tough.  It's been many years since I was a full time student.  I did not remember just how much it takes out of you learning.  Staying focused for hours on end filling up your mind with new information.  Then trying to apply that knowledge and use it in the labs and homework each night.  The accelerated program here is great......but in order to be successful you have to put the time in.

C# material is just different in the way it is done.  I grasp the fact that a computer is a very "simple" machine.  You basically have to define and explain everything to it.  In programing everything is an object.  At least in C#.  Computers are simply adding machines.  The ultimate counters.   (I find it amazing that we have been able to harness it's power this way.)

I have always been self reliant.  I don't like asking for help.  I guess that this course is forcing me to change my ideas on that.  My classmates are my best source of information and support.

It is clear that I am going to get out of this course what I put into it.  I have set up my schedule at home in a way that I see the kids after school.  Eat dinner and then I hit the books till bedtime.  I think that is the only way for me to get these concepts.

Oh.....by the way.  We are expected to type at least forty words per minute......this includes all the new symbols and slashes.  That's a tall order.  I will admit I'm stressed out a bit.

I guess that I'm putting the motto to the test..."If you believe it, You can achieve it."






No comments:

Post a Comment